Friday, April 01, 2011

Friday's Five: Good Eats with the Pink Peppercorn...

Happy April!!  I'm amazed at how quickly the year is going by, the fourth month already??  Where did the first 3 go?  Very happy it's the weekend, Liam and I are on our own for the next few days...Rob has gone on his annual climbing trip to Red Rocks.  I'm looking forward to having some Mommy and Liam quality time.

It's Friday, so that means Friday's Five!  This week I'm super happy to have my friend Gail from The Pink Peppercorn for F's 5.  She's an amazing momma to handsome Carter, lovely wife to Jeff and one hell of a good cook.  I love reading her blog, it's full of great places to eat, delicious recipes {check out the yummy desserts} and very cute pics of Carter and his food adventures.  Asked her questions, 5 to be exact, about food and dining out with baby in tow.  Without further adieu...

Carter muchin' on a Duck Fat Fry at Charcut


1.  What do you look for in an eatery when dining out with Carter?
G:  It kinda depends on what age, I guess!  But generally we go somewhere that is busy/noisy enough.  Eating outside is ideal (especially with nursing...just seems less like we are in close quarters with others).  I also look for somewhere with the right kind of seating, no stools.  There needs to be enough room for a car seat, or at least a diaper bag if he is in a carrier.


2.  You're going out for a date night with Jeff...where do you go?  Best thing on the menu?
G:  Out for a night with Jeff, we'd go to Charcut, Capo, Taste or Alloy.  Best thing on the menus...we always try to order something we can't make at home, or can't make easily...or something a little gluttonous that we definitely wouldn't eat with Carter.  For example, the "pig head mortadella" at Charcut, or the lobster ricotta gnocchi at Capo.  And DEFINITELY wine and dessert!  Can't I have dessert first?


3. & 4. Where are your top 2 places to take Carter with you when eating out in our fair city and you still want amazing food?
G:  For something extra yummy we go to either NoTable or Charcut, but make sure it's at quiet hours {like 3 or 4 pm}.  Although Phil & Sebastian have a pulled lamb sandwich that is delicious, and I don't hesitate to feed the meat to Carter either.   


5.  What's one piece of advice you have for parents when taking baby for a meal out?
G:  Make sure you are going to a restaurant at a quite time and a happy time of day for your child.  Bring some small toys to keep him happy when he's done taking in the surroundings.  Carter likes to sit on my lap and will sit there for a good while, so that helps.  I bring a bib with sleeves {goo-goo baby, the pocket flattens out to clean, but holds up to 1/2 cup of liquid...SO great!!}, a large ziploc bag and some wipes like "Heinz Sticky Fingers."  I will either bring food for him or order food that I know he'll like, Carter gets quite mad if I'm eating and he's not.  Food that is white is also very handy, cucumber sticks, roasted fennel, roast potatoes or meats, they tend to be less messy than fruits which can stain clothes.  If I'm going to someones house to eat then I bring an apron, it helps to catch any food that Carter has dropped.  Okay, that's more than "one piece", but there it is...

Thanks so much Gail...by the way...chocolate chip cookies were fantastic and I'm going to make Nutella stuffed french toast for breakfast tomorrow.  Also looking like tomorrow is an inside day, we have a winter storm warning...20 cm of snow by the end of Saturday....April Fools joke???

♥ have a happy weekend!




No comments:

Post a Comment