Thursday, July 28, 2011

square cookie, round hole


Tuesday was a rainy day.  In my world that means it's a perfect day for playing inside and baking some cookies.  But not just any cookies...square cookies.  How could a square cookie be any different from a round one?  In the husband's opinion they "just taste better".  I make this recipe at least once every couple months.  If it were up to the husband I'd be baking them more often....thankfully the waistline doesn't approve of that.  This recipe sadly is not my own...although I would gladly take credit.  It comes from my husband's mom and he grew up eating and loving them.  I hope that Liam will love them as much as Rob does because they'll continue to be a cookies staple in our house.



Square Cookies

1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour (I've used whole wheat flour before and it was okay)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup chocolate chips

~ preheat oven to 375 F
~ mix butter and shortening together, add both sugars
~ add eggs and vanilla
~ mix flour, baking soda and salt together then add to butter mixture
~ stir in chocolate chips
~ spread out on a cookie sheet. Easiest way to do this is to wet hands with water and pat batter down all the way to the edges of the pan.
~ bake for 18 to 20 minutes until brown on top (I bake mine 16 minutes in a convection oven so they stay chewy after cooled)
~ cut cookies into squares when they come out of the oven

Enjoy with a glass of milk!




Vote For Us @ topbabyblogs.com!

2 comments:

  1. I love that your husband swears they taste better- so funny! I do the same thing with icecream- it always tastes better off a plastic spoon! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this post and had to immediately go to my lunch bag and eat a square cookie.

    BEST COOKIES EVER!

    PS - I assume you have Grandma's written permission to share her secret square cookie recipe with the world?

    ReplyDelete