Wednesday, March 09, 2011

My Anti-Fruitarian Baby

So this morning I tried feeding Liam cereal and applesauce yet again.  For those not in the "know"...this is an on going morning battle.  He always appears interested in it, takes the first bite, realizes what it is and looks absolutely disgusted.  I have yet to figure out whether it is what I'm feeding him or if he's just not a breakfast kinda guy. (Please note that I have tried sweet potatoes and carrots for breakfast too and he still produces a disgusted look)  Perhaps it's a fruit thing?  My son has something against fruit...all fruit.  He actually gags when a spoonful of anything fruit related enters his mouth, seriously, who doesn't like fruit??  I have contemplated if it has anything to do with the fact that I consumed copious amounts of fruit while pregnant...hmmmmmm.

Don't get me wrong, I actually have nothing to really complain about, he eats two meals a day consisting of veggies and some form of meat (preferences include steak and chicken) and he loves his boob meals too.  My saviour in the world of baby eating has been the book 'The Baby's Table' (Brenda Bradshaw & Lauren Donaldson Bramly, MD).  Great, fast, easy baby food recipes and Liam packs them away, unless of course they contain fruit.  His current favourite is Baby Bunny's Puree with chicken or beef on the side.  It is as the book says "A tasty concoction that will leave your little bunny wanting more." So if you have an anti-fruitarian on your hands give it a whirl...who knows maybe one day he'll enjoy fruit??





















Baby Bunny's Puree:

3 carrots, washed, peeled and sliced
3 parsnips, washed, peeled and sliced
1/4 cup Veggie Stock (homemade or sodium free)
or
leftover cooking water (optional)

~ In steamer, cook vegetables over boiling water for 15 minutes
~  In blender or food processor, puree until smooth, adding stock/water (if needed) to achieve desired consistency
~  Pour into ice cube trays and freeze.  Make 8 - 10 cubes

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy! I'm looking forward to starting Evan on solids :)

    ReplyDelete