Childbirth never really scared or worried me, we were built to give birth and I was sure that my body would know what to do. But what was I supposed to do when I brought baby home? What if he wouldn't nurse...or worse wouldn't stop crying? I figured that by reading every book, getting as much advice as possible and using the very 'reliable' interweb I would have this parenting thing down pat before my baby was born...yeah right. If I could go back and give myself some advice...don't read or google anything and take advice sparingly. No amount of prep work could've ever prepared us for what was about to happen to our lives. Friday nights went from planning out our social calendar to timing nursing sessions and counting poopy diapers. However, I must admit I would now rather change those diapers then go out every Friday night because it means I'm with one of the most important beings in my life...my little man.
So, to my very good friend...here is my two sense worth. Get sleep when you can, 15 minutes can actually be glorious. Cuddle and snuggle with your new addition and savour every moment. And finally relax because some how everything works and you just know what to do. Congrats A & J and welcome Baby T.
Liam 2 days old.



believe it or not I even remember those days with you....and you wouldnt stop crying. Almost all the pictures I have of you that were taken during the first 3 months you are HOWLING! I was so danm sleep deprived I could barely remember my own name....I didn't think it would ever end and then one day it did. I still believe it is the most important job you'll ever have and it never stops. No matter how old your children are, you are still a parent and your child will ALWAYS be your child - even when they are middle aged.
ReplyDeleteVery sage advice MJ. I also read way too much and thought I could be uber-prepared for this experience. It is nothing like I read about - I believe that it is a journey that is different for everyone and every moment is truly a blessing to be cherished, no matter if it is poopy diapers or quiet snuggles.
ReplyDeleteMy first big surprise has been how you can be so exhausted (yet simultaneously strangely alert!) and sleep in bed with your newborn and not squish him!
I look forward to your future posts.