Welcome to the first Friday's Five...wasn't quite sure what I was going to make the first F's5 about, then I remembered the month of February, or we now refer to it...Febpooary.
I was so happy to see this month end, Liam had pretty much a full month of diarrhea! Not uncommon, so I'm told by his doctor. The diaper changes increased exponentially and as it would have it, the dreaded diaper rash made it's untimely appearance. At some point every baby is going to get it, so here's what I learned in the month of Febpooary.
1. Change baby often. Yes, even if it means you just changed him and he has poo explosion 30 seconds later. I can honestly say that I have become a diaper changing champion...and perhaps hold some sort of world record for the number of continuous diaper changes in a 10 minute period.
2. Keep babes bottom dry. Let me tell ya...this is not an easy thing to accomplish when your son is pooping every 30 seconds (seriously it felt that way). If you can, have baby bare bottom afternoons, we played on towels for a few days. When all else fails...blow dryers work wonders. Just make sure it's on the lowest heat setting or use the cool button. Not only did it dry out Liam's bum, but it made for some very entertaining diaper changes for him and me.
3. Diaper cream is amazing...provided you use a good one. During our month of Febpooary we used 3 different diaper creams. Here's my thoughts on each. Penaten...tried, tested and mostly true. We went through and entire tin in about 2 weeks. What I didn't like about it was that it eventually was irritating Liam's bum and not doing anything to help him. We switched to Aveeno Baby, worked very well. Actually seemed to soothe his little wee bum. But, then I had to go and ruin everything by reading the list of ingredients. Unfortunately Aveeno Baby contains parabens (if not familiar with these, they are basically bad for babies or anyone really, they are banned in products in Europe!) The final diaper cream is Weleda Baby Calendula Diaper Care. It's 100% natural, picked it up at an organic grocery store (Amaranth in Arbour Lake). Paraben free and works like a charm.
4. Clean babes bum gently. Dab... not wipe. I couldn't believe how quickly the Farf's bum got sensitive, raw and blistery. Also, I found the Pampers Sensitive Wipes were great...but then again who wouldn't when collecting Gifts to Grow Points. *smile*
5. Finally, lots of love and snuggles. This of course goes without saying, and really this happens all the time in our house anyway. Don't forget the love and snuggles apply to your partner too...Rob was fantastic during our month of poo. He took care of many diaper explosions with a smile (sort of, sometimes) on his face.
Happy Weekend Everyone ♥
Friday, March 11, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



If you need to get babies bum dry in a natural way... may I suggest aloe vera directly from the plant. Just snap a section of the leaf/branch off and rub the wet aloe on baby's affected area on the bum. Aloe from the plant will dry out the area and baby won't have a reaction at all.
ReplyDeleteI had terrible diaper rashes as a baby and it was the only thing that worked. It also worked wonders on Patrick. I would notice a huge difference from one changing to the next when I used the aloe vera plant.