Thursday, March 03, 2011

Coffee Talk

I realized this morning that Liam and I hadn't seen any of our friends in almost two weeks!!  Last week our house was plagued with a flu attack...poor Liam had the worst of it.  We finally got over it on the weekend and then the temperature plummeted...it has been - 30 C until today.  Who wants to go outside when it's that cold?  I mean I thought that Spring was supposed to be right around the corner.  Feeling like we were in total social isolation, and it warmed up slightly, we called up our friend S. and headed out for some coffee and play time.

I have come to value the friendships I have with my Mommy friends so much these days, mainly because we can relate to what each other is going through.  Late nights, lack of sleep, puking children, endless singing of the "Itsy Bitsy Spider", diaper explosions and the general merriment associated with being a mom.  Out of the five women that make up our "Mommy Group", four of us are currently on maternity leave, with the fifth expecting at the end of May.  We have children ranging in ages from 5 years to 2 days.  What's truly fantastic is that we can get together and vent, chat, cherish, console, relate and ultimately laugh about being parents.  These play dates/coffee talks happen almost weekly, except when the flu or weather get in the way...such as this incredibly long winter.  I am always happy when us mom's and our entourage hang out and the inevitable chaos that ensues.  Children running around screaming, melting down, playing, nursing, napping, feeding, crying, crawling, dancing and yet we Moms always somehow manage to get our coffee and conversation in.

So........thanks for the coffee and play time today S.  I no longer feel like I'm in solitary confinement in my house and I look forward to seeing all of my Mommy friends next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment