Friday, August 03, 2012

what's in my {birth centre} bag?


a long while back i did one of my favourite posts.  what's in my {diaper} bag?  as d-day for baby girl draws nearer i felt it was time to pack up our bag for the birth centre.  it was a little different packing this bag than it was when liam was born.  namely, we went to the hospital for liam and we're not (fingers crossed) for baby girl.  and we needed to pack two bags for the hospital instead of just one.  we needed one for labour and delivery and then another one for post-pardum.  this time round we just need one bag, hence the non-cute bag option here.  hey this one does the trick, don't judge.

there are a few key item changes that i've packed in our bag for this birth that i know i want around for this birth.  also, because we are opting for labour and delivery at a birth centre there are a few more things that we can bring with us.  such as snacks, coconut water and labour-ade, ipod for soothing sounds, bathing suit for rob.



a) ipod for relaxing music.  still need to make the playlist
b) camera, to capture all those special moments
c) bathing suit for rob, just in case he decides to join me in the tub during labour or delivery
d) toiletries - soap, shampoo, toothbrush, vaseline, arnica and calendula
e) gigantic maxi pads for after birth
(these are also ideal for making crotch-sicles:  frozen maxi pads soaked with water & calendula)
f) coconut water for hydration during labour
g) comfy going home clothes for me
h) cozy blankets for baby girl
i) mini bum diapers - forgot just how small these are!!
j) comfy sleepers and hats for baby girl to home in

there's still a few more things that need to make it into the bag, but those will
have to wait until just before we actually leave for the birth centre.

i'm currently working on our birth plan and intend to share it sometime next week.
better get on this one because my midwives told me yesterday that baby girl
is probably going to arrive before her due date.  it's not looking like i'm
going to make it to the end of august.

happy friday!



3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh - it's getting so close! I'm so excited for you and I'd love to hear all about your experience at the birth centre.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooooh, how exciting. And how nice to think that she may well come early.
    I've got all the bits and pieces now for my birth bag, I need to get round to actually packing it and writing my post too. I've never heard of people using coconut water for hydration in labour, I'm guessing it offers extra nutrients.....? I'll have to have a look out for it next time I'm out shopping. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. coconut water was recommended by my midwives. they also suggest something called labour aid, some sort of concoction to keep sugar and electrolytes up.

      Delete